December 3, 2014

Bucket List : Operation Japan

(via)

Everyone has a bucket list right?! I mean who doesn't? Even if you haven't written it down you have a list of things in your head that you've just gotta do before time runs out. With the big move coming up and 3 years in Japan I've really started to focus on the things I want to do and sights I want to see while we're there. I am determined not to be the person who moves to another country and then stays on base the whole time. It's so important to take advantage of the opportunities we have been presented with and this is a hell of an opportunity.

As I knock them out I plan to write about them and take a ton of pictures to share. It will help keep me accountable,  keep everyone filled in and provide a place to keep my memories and thoughts about the fun times.

1. Visit Matsumoto Castle

2. Hike (as far as I can go on) Mount Fuji

3. Attend the Takayama festival (both spring and autumn versions)

4. See the great Buddha of Kamakura

5. Visit the Todaiji temple in Nara

6. Take the Kyoto rail tour by bullet train from Tokyo

7. Visit the Tsukiji fish market (largest seafood market in the world)

8. Visit the sites of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

9. Visit the temples of Koyosan (Mount Koyo)

10. See the Toshugu shrine (Japan's most lavishly decorated shrine)

11. Tour a Sake brewery (I don't drink but c'mon how could you not go see that?)

12. See all 3 Great Gardens of Japan (Kenroku-en, Koraku-en and Kairaku-en)

13. Learn enough Japanese to hold a conversation with a local

14. Ski/Snowboard at Niseko (learn to ski or snowboard first haha)

15. Visit the island of Okinawa

16. Take a picture with a Harajuku girl

17. Wear and take a picture in a traditional Japanese kimono

18. Visit the man made beach on Kyushu Island

19. Visit the black sand beach in Minami Hyuga

20. Visit Gundam Front in Tokyo

21 See an authentic sumo wrestling match
 
22. Parade of 1000 Samurai
 
23. Traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony
 

I am sure that I will be constantly adding to this list but every time I do something on it please believe that I will keep you posted.


2 comments:

  1. I love, love Japanese culture. I had a Japanese penpal stay with me a few weeks. My husband has been to Japan (while he was in the Marines) and he doesn't share my love, lol. I can't wait to see all your pictures! Looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that sounds like an awesome opportunity! having a pen pal stay with you while you learn about each others worlds. so cool! Your husband isnt unlike some people i've talked to who are already there but i think every place is what you make of it. Im sure he wouldve thought differently if you were there with him to help him explore!

      Delete